Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Especially when it hurts

174.9
5:01, .27 mile warm up walk
13:20, 1.02 mile run
6:52, .36 mile cool down walk

I woke up so sore from yesterday's workout.  I was full of sound effects every time I bent over to put a book on a cart, or got in or out of my chair.  DOMS are a common part of training, and its been a while since I have had such a full body case.  Like I said yesterday, that was a great workout and I have to do it again soon.

All that soreness, plus working 7:30 am to 6 pm, PLUS the second hottest day in Oklahoma history (112!) all added up to a day when a rational person would have stayed on their couch and watched the Olympics.  But I am seldom accused of good sense.

Walking has been stiff and slow today, but once I got warmed up and started running, I honestly didn't notice the soreness as much.  Worthwhile things are hard and sometimes painful.  I know that if I want to reach my goals, I have to continue to train, especially when it hurts.  In reading about ultramarathoners, one thing that has run through it all is the theme that it hurts to do great things but the race is won or lost in your head.  If I want to do these kinds of things, I not only have to train my muscles so they don't fatigue as quickly, but also my mind/will so that I can keep going when it does hurt.

I have really enjoyed Runner's World's daily quote emails, and yesterday's was right on target:
"It's when the discomfort strikes that they realize a strong mind is the most powerful weapon of all." -Chrissie Wellington, four-time World Ironman Champion



*****I do want to point out that I am training through muscle soreness, NOT through an injury.  I have made that mistake before, and I know better than to repeat that experience*****


No comments:

Post a Comment