Thursday, January 10, 2013

Being sore means you're doing something right

Yesterday:
176.8
28:14, 1000 meter swim

You know you're getting your money's worth out of your gym when you are too sore and tired to blog about it!

Tuesday's "boot camp" class left me with a healthy soreness in my legs, glutes and abs, but not as severely as I had feared.  So we took the family swimming so I could take advantage of the hot tub at the Norman YMCA to help loosed back up. 

After a short soak to soften the stiff muscles I lucked out and was able to find a lane all to myself!  The one downside to the Norman YMCA is that the popularity of its pool can mean a wait time to even get to share a lane. 

I was having a great swim, hardly feeling stiff. I turned at the end of a lap and freaked out when I touched flesh!  I had been underwater and checking the lap time on my watch and had not noticed that another swimmer had put their legs in the water on side of the lane.  I'm not sure if it was more startling or embarrassing.

I had a good swim and was happy with how well I did, finishing 2:18 faster than last time I swam that far, especially in light of the intensity of the previous 2 workouts.

By the time I made it home I was worn out.  I laid down on the couch and didn't get back up until Seth finally sent me to bed at 7:30.  I was so tired that I had my kid bring me my fitness journal so I record my time, and there was no way I was walking all the way over to the computer to blog about it.

Today I am extra sore in my legs.  In fact, I think it might be a good idea to call for a rest day (gasp!).  Definitely would be a good night to use the foam roller and stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment