Saturday, September 8, 2012

Beautiful day to be alive

39:55, 1.2 mile hike with pack

After being held captive by a cold for the last 8 days, I was so glad to get out and enjoy the woods with my family.  The temperature was in the 80s and the sun was shining making me crave the outdoors, but I also still have crud in my lungs, and I was feeling guilty about how many hours I have had to spend away from my kids as I have worked lots of extra hours to get caught up.  So I decided to have my cake and eat it too: pack a picnic and take the family with me!


We drove down to Lake Thunderbird and after visiting the Nature Center we took a nice leisurely stroll through the woods to the Clear Bay picnic area.  On the way we saw 4 deer, a couple lizards, and some raccoon poop (all of which is really exciting to 5 and 6 year olds).  The picnic area was nice, and I was really relaxing, until about half way through the meal my littlest one announced that she saw a snake.  Sure enough, she had spotted a Western Pygmy Rattlesnake about 3 or 4 feet behind her.  We ate the rest of our meal on top of the table. 

The walk back seemed shorter than the way out, and the girls wanted to do more exploring, but first they wanted to get their feet wet in the lake.  Wet feet turned into wet kids and I just relaxed on the sand watching them play.  On the way home my oldest announced (as she so often does) that it was the best day ever!  She was totally right. Especially once we got home and I took a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment