Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Dead leg running

181.4
21:47, 1.61 mile run
3 sets of leg machines

Today was long and I wore high heeled boots all day, so by the time I got home from work at a quarter till 7 my toes were crying and I was spent.  So after dinner I went to the gym.

There was no energy left in my legs, but I willed them to keep moving in a running like manner.  My pecs and biceps were sore from yesterday's workout so even my upper body was complaining at me.  I told them to shut up and let me run.  Despite my body's protestations, I enjoyed my run.  It was the first time I had ever done the outdoor running track at the Earlywine YMCA, and I could feel the changes coming in the weather.  I just enjoyed moving, feeling like I am going to make it somewhere.  And my brain seems to enjoy running too.  I don't know if it is the rhythm of it all, the solitude, the break from normal life, or just the happy work out chemicals, but running almost always leaves me feeling better than when I started (although euphoric "runner's high" is not usual for me).

After forcing my legs to run, I further continued my self torture/training by heading inside the gym for the leg machines.  The first 2 sets of each machine were not that hard, but man did I have to focus my will power to muscle through the 3rd set!

Part of what helped me about halfway through my run was imagining who/where I want to be.  Sometimes that backfires and I end up feeling more down because of how far it is and bemoan how I will never get there, etc.  But for some reason my optimism seems to have returned and I once again feel like I am moving in the right direction.  On the way home from the gym I decided to set a ridiculously big goal: I want to weigh 150 pounds on my 29th birthday.  That's just over 18 weeks to lose 31 pounds. Is that too crazy? Maybe, but I started this journey as I neared my 25th birthday with a goal of reaching 155, and its about time I got to where I am going.

No comments:

Post a Comment