Monday, October 22, 2012

Running slowly in the woods (with a camera)

181.4
1:56:27, 6.16 mile trail run



Map of Clear Bay trails

Today was my day off, so of course I started it like most days off- by going to work!  After a couple hours of taking care of business I was ready to blow off some steam and get sweaty so I headed out to Lake Thunderbird in the rain for a long run.  I always enjoy trail running so much, and I can never quite find the right words to do just to beauty around me so I decided to bring a camera this time. 

It was so rainy and humid that at first the lens kept fogging
It was perfect trail running weather- raining and breezy!  The rain cools the body, and you can almost feel it refreshing the woods around you.  The sound of the rain on the leaves is so soothing.
It's a mountain bike trail, so sometimes the incline is intense
 I ran part of Green to Yellow to Red to Blue loop , then retraced back on Red to Yellow and then completed Green loop.  Each trail is a little more difficult than the other, and since these are actually mountain bike trails they can be a bit steep and rough.  Most of it is doable on foot, but a few places are a bit scary/fun.

1st view of Lake Thunderbird on Blue Loop
Blue Loop




Today my legs were tired, and I lacked speed even more than usual.  But the upside to being slow is that you have more time to enjoy the scenery. 

Whitetails are hard to photograph without a zoom!
 During my run I was privileged to see lots of squirrels, butterflies, 2 doves, 2 cottontail rabbits and 11 whitetail does.  I always slow down when I see deer, this is their home and I respect that, even if they are super yummy!

About half way done, one of my favorite spots
Watching the clouds roll away




At about mile 3 the rain stopped and the clouds started to clear. Beautiful sight, but it made the day get hot and muggy, slowing me down a bit more.  But I was having a blast and had found that elusive and mythical "runner's high"- why else would I still be grinning like an idiot after running 5 miles up and down uneven terrain?!
Mile 5.3


 
The woods seem almost magical at times.  The light coming through the leaves amplifying the already beautiful colors. Today I had the woods entirely to myself, the most recent tracks on the trail were from deer.  For the whole 2 hours I was in the woods I didn't see or hear a single human being, and that feels so good in today's hectic world.

Following in the foot steps of the deer
 I didn't run fast, but I ran far.  And I stopped often to take pictures or to observe wildlife.  Sure, I wish I was faster or stronger, but I am so grateful for the health, freedom and access to be able to enjoy a run like this. I hope I never lose the ability or the desire to trail run.


Some stats from my Garmin Forerunner 305

I like charts too!

Garmin's Training Center is a bit confused, I don't actually run underwater


No comments:

Post a Comment