Sunday, October 28, 2012

Is that how you want to be remembered?

37:45, 3 miles on inside track
2 sets of leg machines
10:00 steam room
10:00 ice bath

Today at the gym my husband decided to walk on the track so he could be there to encourage me and to walk with me when I took my walking breaks.  I'm glad he did.

Running on the track can be challenging: I tend to go out faster and without scenery it is more of a mental challenge as well.  I was doing pretty well, but about about a half mile from my goal I pulled up beside Seth and said, "I think I am going to cheat and just walk this lap." Seth looked at me and said, "Is that how you want to be remembered?"  Grrr!  He knows me so well and knows just how to push my buttons!  I was mad enough to swear, but I used it to run again and finish my 3 miles strong.  He's right, I don't want to be remembered as someone who takes it easy, who quits when it hurts.  I am doing this for me, and I am the one who gets cheated when I do less than my best.

After exhausting myself on the track I went to the weight room and did the leg machines.  It was hard!  My legs had already been working for 38 minutes and they didn't want to do any more.  The leg extensions and glute workouts where especially hard, but I am glad that I did them.  It was a workout that I could feel proud of.

I headed to the steam room and enjoyed my reward of 10 warm minutes of relaxation.  But I could tell that my legs had pushed harder than I have in a while and so we picked up a couple bags of ice on the way home.  It had been quite a while since I have taken ice baths, but I climbed into the tub wearing my hoodie and read Runner's World while I tried to ignore the lower half of my body.  

No comments:

Post a Comment