Thursday, November 1, 2012

Same imput= Same output

23:12, 750 meter lap swim
10:00 hot tub break
15:00 treading water
10:00 steam room (with 10 situps thrown in for good measure!)

Today I was sitting in the break room with a friend.  We were both talking about how we need to lose 30 pounds and about who it would be harder for.  We just had to laugh when I pointed out  that we were having this argument while eating coconut cream pie!  Then my associate suggested that make it a contest, he having previously witnessed my rather competitive nature (when I trash talked a lot before he stomped me in the Warrior Dash!) and knowing that this would help motivate us both.  As we discussed details and tried to agree on measures of success and rewards, other staff began to overhear and interest built.  By the time we had to leave for the day, several people had expressed interest so I'm hoping to see this take off and maybe create a new fitness culture in our workplace that will benefit us all.

With all the goings on this week and multiple 9+ hour work days, it has been extra challenging to fit in work outs.  Yesterday I wore boots with a heel and no support all day, even trick or treating, so today my feet were not happy with me, prompting a low impact workout. 

In the past my normal swim workout was 500 meters, but tonight I decided that if I want to see change I must first change what I am doing, so I pushed further and did 750.  I was tired, especially having not eaten dinner yet, but after some poking and prodding from Seth, I got out of the hot tub to go tread water with him. 

Losing weight and getting into shape is really hard, but I want this.  I am tired of feeling trapped in a body that doesn't match who I really am.  I will train hard, eat less coconut cream pie, and keep pushing until I get to where I want to be.  In January 2009, as I approached my 25th birthday weighing 215 pounds, I set a goal of 155.  With my 29th birthday just over 17 weeks away, I am determined not to ever spend another birthday overweight.

No comments:

Post a Comment