Friday, July 6, 2012

Relative speed

175.5
19:28, 1.43 miles
13:27, 2 sets lifting weights and 30 sit ups

I did some "speed" work this morning by throwing in a couple faster than usual intervals (8:22/mile)  in the middle of my normal pace (11:30/mile).  I was surprised that it wasn't as hard as I had expected it to be, and I did not suffer as I had always imagined I would.  In fact, I kind of enjoyed it (but don't tell anyone).  It was pleasant morning, about 80 degrees and sunny.  I got chased by 4 dogs, but as none of them were more than 15 pounds, it was really just humorous! 

When I got home I turned on some music and lifted weights in my living room.  My husband just laughed and shook his head when he found me dancing to Imma Be by the Black Eyed Peas, wearing my running kilt, covered in sweat and holding weights!  Arms fatigued faster today, but still made it through both sets and then did 30 sit ups.

To many these stats from today's work out may seem laughable.  But I'm proud of where I am, because its a lot better than where I was, and I know I'm not done yet.  I collect quotes, and the other day Runner's World daily email was especially good:

"The essential thing in life is not so much conquering as fighting well."
- Baron De Coubertin, founder of the IOC

And that's what I am going for, fighting well.  I may never ever win 1st place in a race (even my kids tend to beat me), but I strive to fight well and to continue to improve myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment